Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Time Flies...too Fast!


I'm sort of in shock as I write this post...today is our Four Year Forever Family Day with Miss Danika Joy.  I really can't fathom how time has gone by so fast.  It seems like yesterday we were standing in a conference room in the Harbour Plaza Hotel in Chongqing, China with 17 other anxious and excited families waiting to meet the little girls we had waited to hold for nearly three years.  The waiting years dragged by, three years seemed like an eternity.  Then, that day in China four years ago a beautiful, curious, sensitive, independent, intelligent, shy, strong willed and incredibly awesome little baby was "delivered" to us and it seems as if time from that moment has passed by at mach speed.  Sometimes I have to look at the photos to remember how small this precious bundle was when we first held her.  It seems as if she's always been the conversational, insightful and bubbly, opinionated, bright, big girl she is today.

Four years have gone by in the blink of an eye, shuffled in the everyday busyness of work, cleaning, school, church, laundry, grocery shopping, errands and doctor visits.  Before our eyes our baby turned into a toddler, then into a pre-schooler and now a pre-kindergartner.  We knew it would happen and it did.  Danika asks me a lot lately, "Mama, do you wish I was still a baby?"  and I have to be honest and say, "Yes, because I loved having a baby to rock and to snuggle and hold", and then I continue, "But I love who you are today and I wouldn't trade that for anything, I love you at almost five".  Danika quickly counters, "What about when I'm almost Six?", I look at her and say, "Please, let's not rush it, let's stick with almost five", and  quickly she says, "soon I'll be almost six".  She is happy about this, I am not.  At every age I have wished I could "freeze" her for just a few more years to enjoy the current age and phase, but time marches on.

Today Danika's special day will be celebrated at the Children's Museum and endless pasta bowls at Olive Garden followed by Superman ice cream (one of the most horrid creations ever) at Nelson's.  We'll talk about that special day four years ago when we first held her, and carried her up to our room at our hotel so we could start the process of getting to know her.  She'll want to hear the stories of when her Grandmas and Grandpas saw her the first time, how far Aunt Sue travelled to see her, and the special time spent with cousin Da (Lisa) as we reminisce about one of the most important days of our lives.

Danika, we are blessed every day by your presence.  You have truly changed our world and made it a wonderful place.  We are so thankful to God for allowing us to be your parents. We love you! 

- Mama and Daddy

Our first photo together on Gotcha Day.


Gotcha Day 1 year later.




Gotcha Day 2 years Later



Gotcha Day 3 years later


1 comment:

likeschocolate said...

Congratulations! It definately flies by too quickly!