Wednesday, July 18, 2012

It's All About You Sienna Grace!

It’s all about you today Sienna Grace!
Two years ago today Dan and I met up with our guide Sophie in the lobby of the Harbour Plaza Hotel in Chongqing, China and got in the small black sedan that would take us to one of the greatest moments of our life…our “gotcha day” with Xiu SiYue, very soon to be Sienna Grace Herman.

Earlier that morning we  gathered up her soft blanket, her firefly musical toy, a soft book and made sure the camera and movie camera were charged and ready for the big moment. 

Sophie asked if we were scared or nervous (she had NO idea we had been in Xiushan the day before and had actually already met Sienna), and we both said not nervous at all, just excited to finally be the parents of this very precious girl. 

After a drive that lasted about 20 minutes we entered the parking lot/ramp area for the Civil Affairs Office and went up several floors to where adoptions and marriages take place.  We were told that Sienna and her nanny did indeed get on the early train in Xiushan that morning and should arrive any moment.

I thought of Nanny Feng He, who I am sure tenderly dressed Sienna in her soft yellow knit shorts and shirt (her first brand new outfit) and prepared her for a journey that she couldn’t possibly comprehend.  We do know that Sienna and her Nanny had a very special bond.  I’m sure she whispered words of love and encouragement to Sienna as she prepared her few belongings and carried her onto the train.  We know they did not seats that had bunks, just the regular “passage fare” seats, which meant Sienna was held on the Nanny’s lap for the entire train ride to Chongqing…approximately 10 hours.

Very shortly after we arrived at the Civil Affairs Office we heard the elevator open and we looked down the hall, and there was the Nanny (who did a very good job of disguising the fact that she had seen us just the day before) carrying Sienna and a small bag containing bottles, formula, a new set of pajamas and a little puppy back pack I had asked they bring for Sienna as it was a special gift to her.

Even though we had just seen Sienna the day before it took nothing from the excitement of seeing her for the first time on the day that we would be welcoming her into our arms forever.  The Nanny and Guide talked a minute and then the Nanny pointed to me and looked at Sienna and said, “Mama” and handed Sienna to me.  I couldn’t believe how little and light she was.   She was obviously scared and nervous and I just gently held her and patted her and told her much we loved her.  I know she didn’t understand anything but a soft voice and gentle touch.  A few minutes later her Baba was anxious to hold her as well so I handed Sienna over to her new Daddy and she just melted in his big safe arms…a bond was made.  We signed  a few papers and the nanny cuddled Sienna a little more and wiped her nose and gave her some cold medication and then we were off to the hotel again. 

Poor Sienna was so very scared and nervous in the car on the way to the hotel…so much so that she vomited all over her Mama FOUR times!  She was a mess, I was a mess but we gently wiped her up as best we could (using the very soft blanket we had just brought to her) and Daddy held her the rest of the hotel while Mama tried to clean up.  We are sure the car driver was mortified about all the mess in is beautiful new car, but he was very good about it.

Sienna fell asleep in her Daddys arms during the rest of the car ride and he gently carried her into the hotel lobby.  She woke up then and was very curious about her new surroundings.  We  brought her right up to our hotel room and started to get to know our new little girl.

She was so timid and shy but also very brave and curious.    We both took turns holding her and loving her and then we got out some toys to play.  She was intrigued but really didn’t want much to do with them.  She DID love the bag from her formula and the cellophane bags from our laundry! (It’s universal, kids like toys that aren’t toys best : )

We stayed tucked into our hotel room our first afternoon with Sienna.  Daddy walked over to McDonalds to get us some supper that first night and Sienna wanted nothing to do with it.  We mixed her up a bottle of her familiar formula and fed her and then changed her into her new soft cotton pajamas and laid her in bed.  In minutes she was asleep and out for the night

First glimpse

The moment we'd waited for

Nanny Feng He soothing Sienna

Hello Sienna, I'm your Mama and I love you.


Holding our baby girl for the very first time


Our first snuggle


First photo together

Daddy charming her with toys

Daddy's first time holding our baby


Yep, it's love!


Sienna's first bottle with Mama

Nanny He getting socks back on.

I think Daddy's gonna work out OK

Happy Parents

First smile

Yep, I can stand!

Snuggle time with Nanny

Daddy I want a pony, and a convertible, and candy and princess dresses and I know you'll buy it all for me...

Pure love

Safe in Daddy's arms


Finally a nap after a long day

Out cold after a long and emotional day

Sucking fingers for comfort

Out cold on Mama's lap

Tired girl, happy Mama

Making it official

Our "offiical" family photo

Saying goodbye to Nanny Feng

My favorite toys
Our little Sienna has changed a lot from that timid, scared and shy little girl we brought to the hotel on July 19, 2012.  Now she is a confident, strong-willed (VERY) and sassy little charmer that continues to blossom every day.  She loves trains, cars but doesn’t like loud noises.  She is extremely tough but also very tender.  Right now she’s going through a “Mama” phase and I hear often, “I like ya Mom,  I loves ya Mom”.  She’s become a snuggler and a kisser and loves to read books, watch movies (especially if there is popcorn) and play outside.  She loves to play in the pool but doesn’t like to be splashed with water.  She has an amazing comprehension and language development and she can do anything she sets her mind to.  She LOVES her big sister almost as much as she loves antagonizing her big sister.

Today, Sienna, we celebrate you and it’s all about you!  From the moment we saw your face we knew you were the little girl God was saving just for us.  We can’t wait to celebrate this special day with you.
The first photo we saw of Sienna

1 comment:

M,R,J1,J2 said...

Congratulations! Happy 2 year anniversary! It sounds like you are describing Jasmine. LOL!
Hugs,
Michaela.