This morning we got up and had a late and leisurely breakfast and then we went to our room for Sienna's nap and got her dressed and ready to go to the American Consulate. We got on the bus and rode for nearly an hour through city traffic and arrived at the Consualte. Once we were there we waited for our names to be called and we got Sienna's Visa and some other paperwork. After all the families names had been called we were all asked to stand and take the oath of Citizenship on our children's behalf. It's a rather anti climatic moment to take the oath in a large sitting room with lots of other tired and homesick families but I still teared up knowing what a difference this oath will make in the life of my little girl. The person conducting the swearing in ceremony reminded us that as soon as our child touches American soil our child would be a US Citizen. As we were leaving the Consulate our Guide told us that she could not be in the consulate with us because she is Chinese and the Consulate is considered American Soil...so we quickly touched Sienna's feet to the ground and we now consider her a US Citizen!
After the oath we loaded up on the bus again and headed through even worse city traffic and got back to our hotel at about 5:30. We ordered pizza in our room so Sienna could sit and play after being on a bus for 2 1/2 hours this afternoon and sitting in a crowded watiing room for another hour and a half.
After supper we went out to get a few more things on our shopping list and a large suitcase to carry home all our treasures.
This is our last overnight in China and it is sort of bittersweet. Half of me is so anxious to get home to see Danika and hold her and hug her and to begin our life as a family of four with Sienna and the other half of me wants to stay here and savor the experience of being in China for awhile. When we traveled to bring Danika home both Dan and I wanted to stay here forever.,,and we seriously considered it.
Tonight we are starting to pack and tomorrow we'll be at it with full force. We'll be leaving on China Southern from Guangzhou to LAX at 9:00 pm and arrive at LAX Airport at 6:50 p.m. We have a layover in LAX and then will board our final flight home - Delta Flight Delta 2268 departing LAX at 12:30 am, arriving in Minneapolis at 6:03 a.m. on Thursday, July 29. We are of course concerned how we will entertain Miss Sienna on a 16 hour flight and then on another 4 hour flight home when we will undoubtably be tired and on edge.
I'm also a bit concerned because my ankles have been swelling up every time I sit for any length of time and this makes my legs and feet hurt. Before we left for China I was sick with pneumonia and bronchitis, probably too sick to travel but there was nothing that would stop me from making this trip to Sienna. I've been drinking my water and popping the baby asprin and motrin so please be thinking of me as I sit on the plane for this long trip.
Please remember us as we journey home, that our travel be safe and uneventful and that Sienna adapts well to her new life with her family in the USA!
I'll try to do one more post tomorrow morning but if not, this is the Herman Family signing off in China!
8 comments:
Thanks for all the posts and pics. Z and I have loved checking them out each day. Prayers for travel safety, peace, healthy bodies, patience and wisdom will be said for you. Can't wait to see pics of your girls together!! God is good!
Congratulations! So happy for all of you! Know that feeling of wanting to come home, but wanting to stay in China longer. Take care of yourself during that long flight home. Make sure you are getting up and walking around. If you are having swelling, you need to make sure you are doing that. Wish I could be at the airport to greet you, but I don't think it's going to happen. Unless I can get Sarah up really early that day! : ) Will be thinking about you and looking forward to seeing all of you and meeting Sienna soon!
So happy that all has gone well. God Bless as you travel home and begin life as a family of 4
Debbie Hard
Karen & Dan!
You are on the exact same flights we were!!! Praying it all goes well! Karen, I will be praying specifically for your legs and feet too!!!! The night flight should help Sienna sleep from China to LAX!!!
Looking forward to meeting the newest Sienna Grace!
Congratulations!!
Diana
Karen,
Thanks for sharing your journey with us. It has been fun to watch. You have a beautiful girl on your hands there. You are all in my prayers!
Liz Krueger
Congratulations! I enjoyed reading about your journey to bring Sienna home. I hope you had safe travels back home!
See you back at work Dan in a couple of weeks. Enjoy your time at home with your family of 4!
Noelle Hudak
Fluid Interiors
She is such a beauty. She's not actually a citizen until she steps down onto U.S. soil--something that I find so symbolic. Looking forward to hearing that you are safely home. Congrats!
Kelly
www.raudenbushfamily.blogspot.com
www.jiayindesigns.com
Hey, just because you are home doesn't mean you are supposed to stop putting updates out here. How did the flights go? And how did the girls do meeting each other? Can't wait to see pictures!!
Vicki
Post a Comment